Granite is the most popular choice for worktops in kitchens due mostly to its durability, beautiful shine and reputation for low maintenance of all the materials used for kitchen worktops.
There is still a routine that needs to be followed to look after your granite worktops. There is four maintenance steps to ensure that your countertops are well looked after to elongate their lifetime, saving you money from having them replaced.
· Fill a small contained with luke-warm water and add in three drops of dish washing detergent, antibacterial spray or powder
· Find a clean soft cloth, preferably a microfiber cloth as this will hold the water appropriately, ensure too much water is not left on the countertop, and it will also ensure that your countertops are not left with streaking marks
· Slowly wipe the down each surface with the cloth. Don’t use harsh or abrasive cleaners and sponges, Windex, acidic cleaners like vinegar, lemon, lime, or anything with ammonia or bleach. Frequent use of these chemicals will dull and weaken the sealant over time. Basically, the harsher the cleaner, the quicker it will break down the sealant.
· Once each countertop has been wiped down, rinse the cloth through to remove any detergent. Rinse the surface thoroughly with clean cold water and then dry
· If anything is spilt on the worktop, use paper towel and wipe down immediately. The idea is blotting with soak up the spill, instead of wiping it around the area
· If the stone has been sealed properly, it shouldn’t let in any wash and stain.
Another way to look after your countertops is to have your granite sealed.
The purpose of sealing your granite is to keep it from getting cloudy or stained due to extensive use. It is recommended to seal every one to two years, but if the stone gets a lot of use, sealing every six months is better.
Sealing your Countertops
· Cover areas like corners and walls that you don’t want sealed with masking tape.
· Be sure that the surface is clear of any debris and has been dry for 6-12 hours prior.
· Pour or spray the entire surface until it is completely wet. When it begins to dry within 3-5 minutes, re wet the surface with another thin layer of sealant.
· After 30 minutes, wipe the excess sealer off with a clean, dry white terry cloth towel.
· If the excess dries on the surface, spray or pour more sealer onto the granite and immediately wipe away.
Polishing and Enriching Colour
Polishing is recommended twice a year to keep your granite looking smooth and shiny. Any basic polisher will enrich the colour of your granite as well.
Shake bottle well to mix polisher fully.
Apply the polish to stone surface using a clean, dry white terry cloth towel.
Let polish dry to haze for 2 minutes.
Wipe off haze with you’re a clean, dry white terry cloth towel.