Owning pets is a wonderful experience and also entails certain responsibilities. The major responsibility is proper disposal and removal of dog waste.
Why dog waste removal is important?
Removing dog waste is very important for maintaining hygiene and the environment. Few reasons why it is important are:
- Most laws impose hefty fines on owners who do not remove dog waste.
- Dog waste can wash down in water bodies, thereby contaminating them.
- A single gram unit of dog waste contains around 23 million bacteria which can be harmful for human health.
- The bacteria in dog waste can cause health issues like kidney disorders, intestinal infections, diarrhea, and cramps.
- Dog waste can give rise to diseases called zoonoses that pass from animals to humans.
- It can increase the transmission of infections from tapeworms, ringworms, and hookworms.
Dog waste dispensers and stations
Proper disposal of dog excreta requires installing dog waste dispensers and stations. Dispensers are usually installed near the trash cans of a locality. The dispensers provide dog waste bags which can be used by owners to collect dog waste. The dispensers usually contain signs for easy identification.
Dog waste stations are separate units comprising of cans, dispensers, signs, and poles for effective disposal of dog droppings. They are used to separate general trash from dog waste. The used dog waste bags can be disposed in the waste stations. These dispensers and stations offer the best solution to deal with dog waste.
Benefits of using dog waste systems
It has been observed that owners who are provided waste containers and dog waste bags feel more responsible for cleaning up the droppings of their pets. The convenience provided by them also encourages the owners to clean the waste.
The dog waste stations ensure that the waste is confined to one location. This offers more convenience to dog owners who are saved from hassle of looking for options to dispose the waste.
Providing dog waste stations helps to prevent contamination of water bodies. Proper disposal of dog droppings also reduces the risk of many diseases caused by bacteria contained in the waste.
Providing dog waste systems is cheaper than handling complaints regarding removal of dog waste.
Using dog waste stations
Merely providing dog waste stations may not be of much help unless the following aspects are considered:
- Levying a dog fee on owners for installing dog waste systems to ensure their responsible usage.
- Ensure that the dog waste dispensers and stations contain signs and instructions for usage.
- Once the dispensers and stations are installed, it is important to notify the residents regarding their location and instructions for use.
- It is advisable that stations and dispensers consist of a locking option in order to prevent theft, vandalism, and unauthorized use.
Dog waste disposal systems are very important considering the health and environmental damage caused by dog waste. However, dog waste systems can be effective if they are installed and used properly.